Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Introduction to being a Hooker.

Yep, you read that right. I have become a hooker since I moved to the Island. Let me back up as explain before the wrong idea creeps in and someone reports me for deplorable behaviour on internship.


Each Monday, at York United, the Monday Group meets. It is an open time for people of the community to come together for fellowship, fun and crafting. I rather naively showed up during one of my first weeks on the Island, unsure what to expect. Not being a crafty person, I brought some letter writing materials to fill the time.

I remember distinctly those first moments. Most of the women there had already settled in, sitting with burlap material stretched across frames, working and chatting. I walked around the room, looking at these mats that were made by pushing strips of fabric through the burlap, creating the most beautiful designs. I sat in awe at the speed at which their hands whirled as the shared the news of the community. I think I spent that first Monday just watching... and almost got away with it, until one of the Hookers (they took that name themselves) looked at me and asked: “And what are you working on? Are you just sitting there?” I sheepishly replied that I am not very crafty and that I was enjoying watching them work. This did not satisfy her. “Oh well, we will have to fix that. We will make a hooker of you yet!”

If only I knew then....

(I will try and track down some pictures to show you the glorious crafting experience that is rug hooking)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger