Saturday, February 13, 2010

Standing on my own two feet

I have been blessed to be a second generation minister (well third on my mom’s side, her grandfather was also a minister) My mother is a wonderful minister and I have been witness to that way that she has touched the lives of many. As I grew up, and came into my own in both camping and youth ministry, it was often for people after meeting me to say “Oh you are Cheryl’s daughter....I just love her. She is such a wonderful minister.” Even when I went to theological school, my mother’s legacy followed, as one of my professor’s went to school with her and led a youth group with her.


I have always has a love/hate relationship with my mother’s legacy. I am so proud of who she is, and am blessed that people often consider me in the same breath. But if I am honest, there are times when I wish that the first words weren’t “Oh you are Cheryl’s daughter”, but something like “Oh nice to meet you” or some such sentiment. Every person wants to stand on their own merits, not only the laurels of others. It didn’t want to have my ministry be seen as a reflection or copy of my Mom’s or anyone else for that matter.

I hadn’t realized that I would be afforded this opportunity during this internship.

When I attended my first presbytery meeting on the Island, something felt different. I met so many people and it took me a full day after the meeting to realize that I hadn’t heard the familiar phrase at all. And it was freeing. Whatever would come from my time out here would be based I what I did... myself. For better or worse, Cheryl’s daughter was no longer my chief descriptor.

I had the opportunity to find my own voice and style and do so without comparisons. I am still my mother’s daughter and am shaped by her ministry and how it played out in my life. But I have also discovered that I have my own style and presence of ministry and that it has been affirmed in my time out here.

Who knew that Presbytery would offer such a gift? Usually all it gives is a numb bum from sitting still for so long!

Mama Kirk and I on our road trip out to the Island

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger