Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stars and Moon

So, my friend (to whom I shall refer to as Stars) just left my place.
Stars and I have known each other since I was 14 years old. We met at camp when I was a CIT and she was a staff member. We bonded over camp and church stuff and soon grew to be close friends. Our friendship has remained close even though we went to different universities and now live in different cities. She is one of those friends that if you don't see them for a while when you get back together, it is like no time had passed at all.
Stars recently got engaged and has asked me to help officiate the wedding this summer. Originally, she wanted me to do the whole service, but because of the way ordination works, I wouldn't be able to do the legal aspects of the marriage. So I will be doing the wedding with a friend of theirs. This will be my first wedding that I have ever officiated and I am so honoured and thrilled to be asked to be part of their special day.
So this weekend, Stars came so that we could pin down some details about the wedding. It was so exciting and fun. Her wedding is going to be great and I can't wait for it. But I must admit, it was a little weird. Not that I would be leading the wedding, because that felt very natural. It was weird because of my history with Stars.
Back when we worked at camp together, Stars and I would lament about our love-lives. One day, I complained that I would never find anyone to be my "stars and moon" (a la all the cheesy romance films that I love so). And so Stars, who was feeling equally down about her love life, said: "That's it! If no guys can see how great we are, then we will be each other's Stars and Moon!" And so the nic-name was born. Now 6 years later, we still call each other that.
This weekend, as awesome as it was, was also a little sad. My Stars is leaving me for a man. The other day, I was talking to a friend about this and he kindly reminded me that I just need to find a new star then. Easier said than done! ha ha!
I hate to admit this but it kind of feels like I am falling behind. Stars has someone, and I am still single. I fear that this sneaky little feeling of sadness might rear it's head on the wedding day. For that reason, I am really hoping that I will be able to find someone to come with me to the wedding. I don't mind going stag, but I think I am going to need some support that day. It is going to be such a beautiful, emotional and heart-warming day. That and most of Stars' friends seem to be married folks.
Don't get me wrong, I am SO so happy for Stars and I am so excited to be a part of her big day. But I just needed to vent a little about it. I know that I shouldn't feel like this, but I do. So I need to feel it and move forward.
(I swear my next post will be happier, and less self-indulgent whining)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger