Monday, November 3, 2008

The clean house correlation

So today was a clean up of massive proportions. We are talking about cleaning for hours on end... from one end of the apartment to the other.
I no longer had use of my desk, my kitchen table, the floor of my closet, the chair by my window and my kitchen sink. Ya... I am disgusting!
When the rest of my life gets crazy, I tend to let my living space fall to the wayside. When it takes so much energy to get through what I need to get through, I just don't care enough to hang up my pants at the end of the day. I always here my mother's voice saying "Touch it once" but I can never bring myself to actually do it. Fast-forward several weeks and all my pants are on the floor of my walk-in closet and I can't get to the few clothes that are left hanging.
And part of me does love the feeling of satisfaction of cleaning, sorting and organizing. It is a sense of accomplishment that is tangible and visible.
I do, however, hate letting it get to the point that it is stressing me out to come home. Usually my messiness starts as a symptom of stress, but when it becomes a cause, I am in trouble. Hence today's massive clean.
But boy do I feel good. My apartment was the last visible sign of how damn crazy my life has been as of late, and I am happy to see it go.
I feel like I am back on track again. No migraines for two weeks now, assignments and tests are all caught up on, Community Life events are going well, and now I have a clean house.
Here's hoping that I can remember that my living space can and does affect my stress levels... and I can avoid having to spend multiple hours re-settling my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger